Here we are. A bounty of basil and the weighted feeling of the long week upon your shoulders. Do not worry. I have this image for you.
Pesto. Egg Salad. Crabapples.
Basil, toasted pecans, peas, spinach, a touch of olive oil and cheese.
Add in some hard boiled eggs, chives, plain yogurt, salt and pepper.
Add in a beautiful view. Take in a deep breath and look around.
Thanks for reading friends!
- handful of basil
- a few sprigs of spinach
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/4 cup of peas
- a handful of toasted pecans
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- parmesan cheese, to taste
- 2 hardboiled eggs
- few tablespoons of plain yogurt
- chopped chives
- salt & pepper, to taste
- sprinkle of smoked paprika
- Combine the basil, peas, toasted pecans and spinach into a food processor. Pulse until combined. Slowly add in a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese until combined. I thinned mine to a proper consistency with a touch of olive oil. You could use a dollop of yogurt too, I bet!
- For the hard boiled eggs:
- Place 2 eggs in a small saucepan and cover with water. Place the pan of eggs on the stove, bring the water to a boil. Immediately cover the pan and turn off the heat. Let the eggs 'cook' for 12 - 15 minutes. Drain the water from the pan, remove the eggs and gently crack them on the counter, then return the eggs to the pan. Add a few ice cubes and cold water to the pan, allowing the eggs to cool off. Peel the eggs under cold running water. Dry and chop the eggs.
- In a small bowl place the chopped eggs, a tablespoon of chives, and a few tablespoons of plain yogurt. Add salt and pepper to taste. Toast a slice of bread. Spread a layer of pesto on the toasted bread and place a dollop of egg salad on top of that. A sprinkle of smoked paprika lends a tiny weight to the light pesto and egg salad. If you are feeling fancy add in a fork and knife. I opted for a picnic style, cloth napkins and all. I headed towards my front deck where the fully bloomed crabapple tree was waiting.