I was flipping through “The Three Sisters” cookbook recently. I was hoping to come across a gem of a recipe that would require few ingredients, be quick to assemble and provide a little sweet treat for us.
Enter: the old fashioned no bake cookie…..UPDATED! Also, please note, this amazing teak cutting board. I am smitten.
The cookies could not be simpler with oats starring as the main ingredient.
(I will stop posting pictures of this cutting board now)
I revamped this childhood classic. Sweet Z had a slight look of horror when he heard I was making no bakes. His eyes were wide and he looked rather skeptical. I rattled off the ingredients and his mind was at ease. There are no eggs, I said. His shoulders relaxed.
I updated the older version to make it a bit out of the ordinary and based on our flavor preferences.
- 4 T. unsalted butter
- 3/4 C. sugar (orig. = 1 C. sugar)
- 1/4 C. cocoa (I added more, because the cocoa came flying out of the container)
- 1/4 C. milk (I used almond milk)
- few teaspoons of espresso powder
- Combine this and boil for a minute. Add in:
- 1/4 C. nut butter (traditionalists would use peanut, I used almond)
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- Stir together until all melted. Add in:
- 1 1/2 C. quick oats (I used old fashioned..which resulted in a great chewy cookie)
- Drop by small cookie scoop on a piece of wax paper until cooled. I stored my cookies in the fridge. So good! Enjoy!