I was in search for a quick weeknight meal one day this past week. A quick scan of the fridge yielded a few tortillas and salsa. A peek in the cupboard had me eyeing a can of black beans. I grabbed a bowl, a baking sheet and preheated the oven. Ready to see just how easy this recipe is? Let’s go!
This creation is so simple! A can of black beans is drained and rinsed, some frozen corn gets added in, salsa, cumin and smoked sweet paprika are mixed up.
Half the beans are mashed and the ingredients above are all mixed up. I lined a baking sheet with parchment for and lightly sprayed the parchment with some oil, layed out the tortillas and added about 1/2 cup of filling and topped with some shredded cheddar cheese.
The tortillas are folded over and given a quick spray as well. Into the 350* oven the quesadillas go for 20 – 25 minutes, until the filling is hot and cheese is melted.
(Our new under cabinet lighting has me swooning! Also, I will learn to properly take pictures in this light!)
I served wedges of this with some plain greek yogurt for me, extra salsa for Sweet Z and a side salad topped off this quick dinner. This recipe is definitely going into the ‘I think I can pull this together with a baby strapped to me’ file.
- 1 can of black beans, 14 oz
- 1/2 C. frozen corn
- 3/4 C. salsa
- 1/2 t. cumin
- 1/2 t. smoked sweet paprika
- 1 C. shredded cheese, I used cheddar
- Possible toppings: greek yogurt, avocado, salsa
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, lightly spray with oil and preheat the oven to 350*.
- Drain and rinse the black beans. In a medium sized bowl mash a quarter, or up to a half, of the black beans. Add in the rest of the beans, corn, spices, salsa and mix to combine.
- Lay out 3 large tortillas, add a scant half cup of filled to each tortilla. Top with shredded cheese and fold over. Lightly spray each folded quesadilla.
- Bake the quesadillas for 20-25 minutes, until the filling is bubbly and the cheese is melted. Let cool slightly before slicing and serving.