This recipe. Whoa. I tackled Shutterbean’s Lemon Chicken recipe recently. Will it become a staple?
I really love a recipe that is simple. No fuss, no frills. There was a time when I would think nothing of spending the late afternoon prepping and making dinner over the course of a few hours. It was relaxing, like meditation, for me and it was so satisfying to sit down at the end of it all and enjoy it alongside a very appreciative Sweet Z.
But those long, languid hours spent in the kitchen are now more concentrated. These days it bothers me to stand on our tiled kitchen floor for a long stretch of time. So I am trying to create a stash of dinner recipes that I can make quickly, with minimal effort that has a huge return on dinnertime satisfaction. Fresh, simple and delicious.
This lemon chicken dish is that fantastic recipe we all need in our recipe boxes (wait, do people even have these anymore?)! Chopped garlic, onion get mixed with some dried thyme, oregano, salt and pepper. Over some chicken thighs the onion mixture went. I used bone in thighs which extended my cooking time by a little bit. But the results?
FANTASTIC!! The lemon onion sauce was a perfect compliment to the extremely tender and moist chicken thigh. Whoa, that was a jam packed sentence of deliciousness! I served this alongside some rice, fresh corn on the cob and a simple salad with a few blueberries, blue cheese and balsamic glaze drizzled on top. The portions were perfect for our dinner! The leftovers were even better! This is one recipe that I have put in the ‘can make while baby is attached in a sling’ category…..or, better yet, Sweet Z can tackle this! Score! Thanks, Shutterbean!
- Recipe from Shutterbean
- I followed the recipe...except I had 4 chicken thighs so I halved the onion/lemon mixture!
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (mine weighed 1.5 lbs)
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced, less or more to taste
- 2 T. + 2 t. olive oil, less or more to taste
- 1/2 t. dried oregano
- 1/2 t. dried thyme
- Olive oil, for baking dish
- Lemon slices, for nestling
- Pat of butter for extra creaminess
- Since I was using 4 bone in chicken thighs I eyeballed and taste tested the olive oil/ lemon juice mixture until I had a nicely balanced lemon/ olive oil ratio.
- Preheat the oven to 375*. Lightly drizzle a baking dish with olive oil.
- In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper and garlic. Add in the onions and mix to combine.
- Place the chicken thighs in the baking dish. Pour the onion mixture over the thighs and make sure each is coated nicely. Nestle a few lemon slices around the chicken thighs.
- Pop the dish in the oven and bake for 30 - 45 minutes, depending on the thickness of your chicken thighs and whether they are bone in or boneless. I tested mine with a meat thermometer to be sure!
- I flipped the oven to broil and browned the top of the thighs before serving. Allow the chicken to rest for 5 - 10 minutes or so before digging in. Let those juices redistribute!
- If you wish, add a pat of butter to the sauce before serving the chicken. The butter makes the sauce extra rich and delicious!