Sweet Z had a birthday this past week! We had some dear friends down for a simple lunch and some birthday cake, of course! For days I was asking Sweet Z what he would like. The answer was usually something along the lines of I have not given it much thought. Finally, the day before I had some answers. Cold roasted chicken, cold potatoes with dill, salad, and roasted asparagus. And for dessert, chocolate cake with ginger frosting. I was in charge of the cake and set forth to find an easy, accessible cake and frosting recipe.
The cake. I had some chocolate cake recipes in my arsenal but I turned to Joy the Baker’s Simple Vegan Chocolate Cake. Why? I had all of the ingredients on hand, it looked like a snap to prepare and I could spend the morning doing other important things – like wrapping presents and preparing the house for guests!
I grabbed my trusty bundt pan, greased and dusted it with cocoa powder and it was ready to go. The batter was a simple mixture of cocoa, sugar, flour, leaveners, vegetable oil, coffee, vanilla extract and a small handful of chocolate chunks if you are feeling decadent.
Of course we were feeling decadent! A quick bake and here we are…
Now I could have sifted powdered sugar over the top and called it a day. But….Sweet Z wanted a ginger frosting. Alas, from this point forward…
the veganized cake…was now de-veganized with a ginger cream cheese frosting! And the taste? Extraordinary! Now, I could have used a vegan cream cheese and butter for the vegan frosting and not committed such a criminal act. But, hey, when your husband has a special cake request I try to honor it. And he takes full credit for this chocolate cake/ ginger frosting combination…which he thinks is pure genius! It was a moist, dark chocolate cake with hints of chocolate chunks and the ginger frosting was a perfect compliment!
- Chocolate Cake Recipe slightly adapted from Joy the Baker
- Ginger Cream Cheese Frosting from Vanilla Garlic
- For the cake:
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm coffee
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- small handful of chocolate chunks and/or cocoa nibs (optional but I highly recommend it)
- For the frosting:
- 4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 C. butter, room temperature
- 2 C. powdered sugar
- 1-2 t. ginger (to taste)
- 1 t. fresh grated ginger
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- Candied ginger, optional, for topping
- For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350*. Grease and cocoa the bundt pan (9 inch).
- Whisk the flour, dutch processed cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. In a small bowl whisk together the coffee, vegetable oil and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Add in a handful of dark chocolate chunks.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan. Bake in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool in the bundt pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- For the frosting:
- In a stand mixer cream the butter and cream cheese together until light and fluffy, until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar until combined. Add in the vanilla extract, fresh ginger and dried ginger (tasting as you go) and mix until combined. Spread on a cooled cake and top with candied ginger.