This is a great quick banana bread recipe to have in your collection. It is studded with chocolate chips and sunflower seeds. I made this the night before hosting a playgroup so the flavors could meld a bit. This happens to be dairy free, too! I turned to ‘Julia’s Best Banana Bread‘ recipe from Bon Appetite. It was recommended by a friend as ‘the best’ and I found myself with all of the ingredients (and more). It was so simple that I did not photograph a single recipe along the way. Hmmm.
A simple banana bread recipe that is forgiving with additions. I threw in handfuls of (dairy free) chocolate chips, sunflower seeds and I would have added some malted milk powder but, alas, it contains skim milk.
I made mini loaves of this bread…intending to give away some loaves. Apparently, I wanted to share only some with my playgroup friends…and all the leftover banana bread somehow disappeared throughout the week. Oops.
- Recipe adapted from Bon Appetite
- 3 overly ripe bananas, mashed
- 3/4 C. vegetable oil
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 3/4 C. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 C. white whole wheat flour (could use all purpose)
- 1 1/2 t. baking soda
- 3/4 t. kosher salt
- Optional: 2-3 tablespoons of malted milk powder
- Optional: large handfuls of dairy free chocolate chips, sunflower seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350*. Spray 3 mini loaf pans with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix the mashed banana, oil, vanilla extract, sugar and eggs together.
- In a smaller bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and malted milk powder (if using).
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir together until barely mixed.
- Gently stir in the chocolate chips and sunflower seeds.
- Divide the batter into the 3 pans and bake for 25 minutes, or until a tester in the center comes clean.