Hello, there! It has been so many months and moon cycles since I have last posted. I have thought often of this sweet blog. I am ready to give and share again with gratitude and joy. Maybe we can start by enjoying a piece of this fruit galette with a rather perfect spelt dough?
See those buttery knobs? So, so beautiful and it will create the flaky crust you have been dreaming about! I chopped up the fruit we had on hand – peach, pear, cherries, plum, blueberries, spices and candied ginger. I added a tiny sprinkle of sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg. I kept things rather simple.
I brushed the dough with an egg/ milk mixture before baking. This tart dough bakes up beautifully. It is so very tender and flaky. The fruit filling was just sweet enough and complimented the buttery tart dough. Mini tarts would be lovely, or a savory version with zucchini, perhaps?
NQGBebe continues to grow, wonder, wander and laugh as he experiences each day. He is constantly teaching me life lessons with the most important one being savoring the moments, and to really be present.
Those curls, the moves, the kicks. (And the joy he brought to our neighbors at the concert!) Time, may we pause for a moment? Big breath.
Sometimes it is difficult to sleep…so wandering around the house with a pull toy is the thing to do.
They say if you have your kids help you in the kitchen, they may be more willing to try (and enjoy?) different things? After not loving zucchini ‘fries’, we moved onto zucchini tots (still not convinced) and we finally found a winner in zucchini sweet potato bread. I will certainly be posting a zucchini series soon!
Taking time to pause, to re-enter this new phase of life with a toddler, working in a bakery (still learning, so grateful), traveling down the path of being married, being a Mom and finally remembering to be me. Be on the lookout. I am re-discovering my kitchen (and camera) again. Thank you for reading!!
- Spelt Galette Dough:
- Recipe from|[http://www.butterandbrioche.com/peach-ginger-spelt-galette-almond-crumble/]
- 2 C. all purpose flour
- 1/2 C. spelt Flour
- 2 t. salt
- 2 T. sugar
- 1 C. butter, cubed
- 1/2 C. ice cold water
- To the bowl of the food processor add the flours, salt, sugar and cubed butter. Pulse to combine into a crumbly mixture, with some pea sized nuggets.
- Start adding in the water, slowly, until the dough just comes together. You may not need all of the liquid.
- Wrap in saran wrap and chill in the fridge overnight.
- When ready to bake - roll of the disc of dough into a large circle. Preheat the oven to 375*
- Fruit Filling:
- Combine 4 cups of various fruits: I used plum, peach, pear, cherries, blueberries and candied ginger.
- To this mixture I added a few tablespoons of sugar, 2 teaspoons of cornstarch, good pinches of cinnamon, cardamom, a few grates of fresh nutmeg, and sprinkles of allspice. Let this macerate while the oven is preheating.
- Add the fruit mixture to the center of the dough and bring up the sides of the circle. Rustic is better!
- In a small bowl beat an egg and a splash of milk. Brush this over the dough.
- Bake for 40 - 55 minutes, until the filling is bubbling nicely. Enjoy warm!